Sunday 25 December 2016

Temporary guide

I was sitting alone in the ruins of the main chamber of king Krishnadev raya’s palace. It was my 6th day in
Hampi and I had gathered most of the information I could have gathered about the place. I knew everything the guides in Hampi knew. I had clicked all the required photographs. Now I was just sitting there, hoping some spirit from the royal family to come to me, so that I could understand the complete history of the place. But nothing like that happened.
Foundation Of The Palace


A little disappointed, I was about to leave the place, when some tourist came to the ruins. As there was no one else around, he came to me, pointed at the foundation of the hariHara Palace and asked me if it was the queen’s basement. Correcting him, I said it was not the place he was looking for, and showed him where the queen’s basement was. He asked me if I was sure, as the board was pointing somewhere else. I smiled, and explained all about the place. I took him in every corner of the palace and told everything I knew, history, mythology, architecture, structure, religion, everything. I even told him the things people will tell him, but which are not true. After the 20 minute tour, the person thanked me, and left the place.
Ruins Of The Palace
Now I feel, I had explained him much more that any guide could have. I feel good that the knowledge I had gathered was useful for somebody. But now I think I should have charged him for that. I could have been a temporary guide in my free time; at least I could have earned my travelling expenses. But I’ll definitely do this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment